Apple has stopped signing iOS 16.1.2
Apple recently released their iOS 16.2 software update for the iPhone and now they have stopped signing the previous release, iOS 16.1.2.
What this means is that if you upgrade from iOS 16.1.2 to iOS 16.2, you will no longer be able to downgrade from iOS 16.2. Apple does this when it releases a new software update that includes some fixes for security issues.
The iOS 16.2 software update also included a series of new features for the iPhone, this includes the new Freeform app and much more. You can see the release notes from Apple below.
iOS 16.2 Release Notes:
– Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
– A flexible canvas allows you to add files, images, stickers and more
With drawing tools, you can sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger
Apple Music Sing
– A new way to sing along with millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
– Fully adjustable vocals let you duet with the original artist, sing solo, or mix it up
– Newly improved beat-by-beat lyrics make it even easier to follow along with the music
Advanced data protection for iCloud
– New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected with end-to-end encryption to 23 – including iCloud backups, notes and photos – and protects your information even in the event of a data breach in the cloud
– New settings allow you to hide wallpaper or notifications when Always-On display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Sleep widget lets you see your most recent sleep data
– Medication widget lets you view reminders and quickly access your schedule
– SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with the people you’re on a FaceTime call with
– Activity widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your home screen
– Live Activities for Apple TV app lets you follow your favorite teams with live scores right on your lock screen or in Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between your smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Improved search in Messages allows you to find photos based on their content, such as a dog, car, person or text
– Turn off Hide IP Address setting allows iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari
– News articles in Weather display information relevant to the weather in that location
– Participant indicators in notes allow you to see live indicators while others make updates in a shared note
– AirDrop now automatically reverts to Contacts Only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
– Drop detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
– Fixes an issue that causes some notes to not sync with iCloud after updates are made
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices. For information about the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
The new iOS 16.2 software update is now available to download, you can install the update by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install. If you upgrade to iOS 16.2, you will not be able to downgrade to iOS 16.1.2.
Filed under: Apple, Apple iPhone
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.