Nikon SE NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 prime lens
Nikon today announced the release of its new full frame/FX format mirrorless camera prime lens in the form of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE)which Nikon describes as a “heritage design that matches the Nikon Z fc“. The Special Edition prime lens inherits design features from its predecessor in the form of a knurled control ring, from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera.
The Nikon NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) has f/2 maximum aperture and optical performance the same as the non-special edition NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2.
Both lenses provide photographers with round bokeh and the prime lens is approximately 45.5mm long and weighs 170g.
Nikon Z 40mm f2 special edition
” With a total length of about 45.5 mm and weight of about 170 g, its compact size and light weight make it easy to take anywhere. The lens is ideal for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including portraits using bokeh, photos and stills, with a highly versatile standard angle of view offered by the lens’ 40mm focal length. When used with an APS-C size/DX format camera such as the Z fc, the lens offers a mid-telephoto angle of view equivalent to that of a 60mm lens (in 35mm)  format) which serves to emphasize the primary subject.”
Nikon Z 40mm SE
- Adopting a heritage design inspired by the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the FM2, matched to the Z fc body.
- The bright maximum aperture of f/2 and a 9-blade iris diaphragm ensure beautiful round bokeh.
- The 40mm focal length supports a standard angle of view ideal for capturing portraits, photos and other subjects in a wide variety of scenes.
- The focal length becomes 60 mm (equivalent to 35 mm  format) when mounted on an APS-C size camera.
- The compact and lightweight body has a total length of about 45.5 mm and weight of about 170 g.
- The minimum focus distance of 0.29 m allows users to get closer to their subjects.
- Application of a STM (stepper motor) enables high-speed and accurate AF with quiet operational sounds, while maintaining a compact body size.
- Designed with dust and drip resistant performance in mind so it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Designed with video recording in mind with extremely quiet operation, effective focus breathing compensation and stable exposure.
“As well as its superior optical performance, effective AF and dust and drip resistance, the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is designed to blend seamlessly with the user’s aesthetic, increasing the joy of shooting and ownership. Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users’ needs, contributing to the development of image culture, hoping to expand possibilities for image expression.”
“The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is a compact and lightweight standard prime lens with a heritage design that matches the Nikon Z fc body. The “(SE)” in the product name is short for “Special Edition”. The lens inherits its design features, such as the knurled control ring, from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera. The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) expands the selection of lenses that match the Z fc’s heritage design.”
Filed under: Camera News
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.