Use of Digital Gadgets As Calming Tool Can Worsen Your Child’s Behaviour
Last updated: December 21, 2022, 6:51 PM IST
Children cannot even imagine a world without the Internet, smartphones, tablets, electronic games and other handheld devices.
Giving your toddler a digital device seems like a quick fix, but studies show that this calming method can have serious future behavioral problems among children.
Technology plays an important role in our daily lives. The young generation has grown up with a wide variety of electronic devices at their fingertips and it is not surprising to see 3-year-olds unlocking mobile phones, running apps and playing games online. Children cannot even imagine a world without the Internet, smartphones, tablets, electronic games and other handheld devices. Nowadays, digital devices are more popular among children and probably among older people as well.
The advancement in technology means that today’s parents have to figure out how to limit screen time for their children. Digital devices can provide endless hours of entertainment, but they also have detrimental effects. Unlimited screen time can be harmful. Giving your toddler a digital device seems like a quick fix, but studies show that this calming method can have serious future behavioral problems among children.
Jenny Radesky, MD and developmental behavioral pediatrician at the University of Michigan Health Children’s Hospital says, “Using cell phones or other electronic devices to calm a young child may seem like a harmless or temporary tool, but there can be long-term consequences, if considered as a regular palliative strategy.”
Negative effects of using digital devices:
- Regular use of devices such as smartphones and tablets to calm upset children can lead to emotional dysregulation or behavioral problems.
- Children are more likely to react with a strong temper, a sudden change in mood, sadness or excitement, anger or frustration or become hyperactive.
- Too much gadget use leads to depression in children. It also leads to mental health issues.
- Participating in sedentary activities for a long time, such as playing online video games and watching TV, can be a risk factor that causes obesity or overweight children.
Set rules to limit screen time across electronic devices:
- Set time to use screens, watch TV or cell phones.
- Let them play outdoor games.
- Say no to digital devices before bed.
- Make sure your child gets enough sleep.
- No gadgets for babysitters, instead give them toys to play with or coloring books.
- No use of digital devices during mealtime.
- No use of electronics during family time.
Read all the latest lifestyle news here