Queens Man Sentenced to 17 Years in Prison for Sexual Exploitation of a Child on the Internet | USAO-EDNY
Earlier today, in federal court in Central Islip, Kevin Rizo was sentenced by US District Judge Joanna Seybert to 17 years in prison for sexually exploiting a minor. Rizo will also be required to register as a sex offender upon his release from prison. Rizo pleaded guilty to the charge in September 2021.
Breon Peace, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York and Ivan J. Arvelo, Special Agent in Charge, Homeland Security Investigations, New York (HSI), announced the sentence.
“The defendant’s abuse is unconscionable and extremely harmful to the young boy who should be commended for bravely coming forward to law enforcement to stop this predator,” said United States Attorney Peace. “Today’s substantial prison sentence will protect the community here and elsewhere from Rizo, who trolled the internet for over 100 boys to lure and terrorize. I urge parents and caregivers to have frank conversations with their children about the dangers of communicating online with strangers who may pretend to be anyone or anything while making inappropriate requests for photos and videos.”
“Rizo preyed on children who used the internet and social media apps – fearing to coerce them into doing his bidding. “Sextortion is a growing threat to children online and this significant sentence sends a clear message that those who seek to exploit and harm children will face serious consequences,” said Special Agent in Charge Ivan J. Arvelo in charge of homeland security investigations in New York, said.
In December 2016, a 14-year-old boy and his parents reported to Nassau County police officers that the victim had been contacted on Instagram on the night of November 30, 2016 to December 1, 2016 by Rizo, who used the nickname. “Alyssa,” pretending to be a teenage girl. After the victim complied with “Alyssa’s” request to see explicit photos and videos of the victim, the defendant threatened to share those photos and videos with the victim’s friends unless the victim provided even more explicit material. On the same day, several friends of the victim received nude photos of the teenager from Rizo.
The government’s investigation revealed that Rizo communicated with at least 130 boys and that most of them sent him nude images and videos of themselves at his request. After Rizo received the images and videos, he threatened to distribute them to others, including the boys’ friends and family members, if more images and videos were not sent.
The government’s case is being handled by the Office’s Long Island Criminal Division. Assistant US Attorney Oren Gleich is in charge of the prosecution.
KEVIN RIZO (aka “Alyssarxx,” “Alysaflxx,” Alyssa.rxx,” and “Ally.love.15”)
Flushing, New York
EDNY dossier no. 17-CR-283 (JS)